How to Make the Ultimate Breakfast Grilled Cheese
While we’re firm believers that there’s never a bad day to enjoy a grilled cheese sandwich, today there’s extra reason to celebrate cheesy goodness. Happy National Grilled Cheese Day everyone! Commemorate the occasion properly by making this irresistible toad-in-a-hole grilled cheese breakfast mashup.
2 slices ciabatta bread
1 cup cheese mix
mild white cheddar
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
Medium pan (or heavy object)
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Heat a medium pan over medium heat. Crack egg into a small bowl.
2. Spread mayonnaise on 1 side of each bread slice. Lay 1 slice mayonnaise-side down on a clean dry surface and sprinkle over cheese. Top with remaining bread mayonnaise-side up.
3. Add the sandwich to the pan and place a medium heavy pan or another heavy object on top. Cook for 1 minute with pan on top of sandwich. Remove to pan then cook, without moving, for another 2 minutes.
4. Flip sandwich and cook another 2 minutes. Remove grilled cheese from pan and remove pan from heat. Allow pan to cool, about 5 minutes. Cut a hole in the center of the sandwich. Return grilled cheese and pan to medium heat and carefully place egg in the center. Cover pan and cook 2 more minutes until bread is golden, cheese is melted, and egg whites are beginning to set. Place pan in oven and cook until egg whites are cooked through but yolk is still runny, about 3-4 minutes.
5. Remove from pan and serve.
Looking for more grilled cheese inspiration? You’re in luck. To learn how to make an addictive avocado grilled cheese, click here. And to unlock the secrets of how to make Chef Elana’s perfect grilled cheese, don’t forget to check out our Skillshare class!
If You Love Breakfast for Dinner, Try ShakshukaMarch 23rd, 2017
How to Make Iced Irish CoffeeMarch 16th, 2017
Enjoy All Your Favorite Korean Flavors in Burrito FormMarch 16th, 2017
Enjoy Your Poutine with Extra VeggiesMarch 9th, 2017